What can you do when you’re feeling stressed, unmotivated, or derailed by things out of your control?
Does this picture fit for you?
You’ve accomplished some important goals.
Your life is pretty good but you’re uninspired, a little bored, a little restless.
You’re waiting for the next thing – a job, a new relationship, a new adventure.
Or you don’t expect any big changes but you want something to provide some joy and excitement.
When you’re in this place, I recommend that you work on two things:
The inside and the outside.
First, the inside.
- Take some time to think through or write about how you want to feel about your life and about yourself.
- Try to see your internal world of many “parts” who revolve around your inner “Self.” Some parts are unhappy, lonely, or angry. Some may be content to let life be just as it is. Some are pushing for a big change. Your “Self” is you, who notices these parts with different feelings and helps them work together. Most importantly, you love them all. Be kind and accepting of all your parts.
- Find some activities that help you feel calm and centered every day. This might be meditation, yoga, an exercise you love, music or other media.
Then, the outside. Your influence on the world, and the world’s influence on you.
- Do some thinking or some writing about what you’d like to be doing with your life right now. Really get detailed, imagining about exactly what you want. This is not magic, its mindset work!
- Make a list of three small steps to move toward the things you imagined. Take small actions to help you get moving. Try not to get attached to the outcome. Life will unfold as it will.
- Spend some time with people who are energized, motivated, and inspiring. Sometimes you can do this in person. Sometimes it has to be more remote – media, books, being the audience.
- Get out into the world in other ways. New experiences give us a more open mind, stronger emotional system, and a sense of being a part of something bigger than ourselves. Trying a new sport or attending a theater event might not seem like a part of your “work” but it is because it helps you grow!
If your life is slow now, it’s probably an opportunity to grow in some new ways.
Don’t waste the opportunity!
Lisa Yaeger, LPC.
Always here to help you grow and give you support. Call for an appointment or sign up for a free video consult right now!